Designing a seamless inside-outside tiled balcony – but unsure about the right assembly?
Now help is at hand with BAL’s new External Tiling Solutions for balconies, roof terraces and patios, which cater for the growing trend of having the same tile flowing from the inside out onto a balcony or patio to create an extension of the house – an area to cook, eat, relax and entertain.
However to have these tiled areas available all year round requires an all-weather assembly – capable of dealing with the inclement weather that is thrown our way, be it rain, frost, snow – or even occasionally heat!
Without the correct tiling system, tiled areas can be susceptible to cracking, efflorescence or staining – all derived from water damage or fluctuations in temperature.
Water penetrating the lower levels of an external assembly can pose a serious risk to the structural integrity of any balcony. Permeation of water through tile joints will eventually cause damage if no provision is made for water to drain away efficiently.
BAL’s new system – launched in conjunction with sister company Gutjahr – helps to protect the tiled assembly by providing rapid, immediate and high volume drainage of the surface down through the screed and expelled away from the assembly through drainage mats, grates, drip/drain edge profiles and guttering systems.
Simple to install, these products helps protect the long-term integrity of the balcony assembly from these problems and others such as weed growth, warping and impact damage.
This new innovative technology also helps prevents damage to building connections that can occur is water is allowed to fall back to the threshold. If the right waterproofing solutions are not in place, water can travel up and over the waterproofing, or worse still get behind the waterproofing and track back. Damage to these critical areas can cause big problems for even the smallest balcony.
BAL’s new range of AquaDrain drain grates and drainage mats helps maximise protection from water ingress by passing high water volumes, providing a strong construction, remaining durable and catching debris.
These new products represent a completely new range of solutions for the BAL portfolio and work as a system with current BAL preparation, waterproofing, adhesive, grout and sealant products for tiling.
This means for the first time architects, designers and contractors are provided with a true ‘one-stop-shop’ for balcony, terrace and patio systems with break-proof porcelain, ceramic and natural stone tiles or slabs.
To ensure that moisture staining, frost damage and efflorescence do not become problems in the future, it is crucial to specify the right products. It is vitally important to remember that water sensitive tiles and slabs should not be used externally.
The correct combination of products and materials include:
- Appropriate drainage assemblies – structures with effective falls, drainage and often with reduced thickness.
- Suitable backgrounds – non-absorbent, rigid, fully cured and dry, unaffected by temperature fluctuations and preferably cementitious
- Correct selection of adhesive and grout – rapid setting/low water demand i.e. white for light natural stone such as BAL Rapidset Flexible Fibre or BAL Stone & Tile PTB.
- Tile/slab selection – with low porosity, break-proof, suitable for external use i.e. frost resistant.
BAL offers three systems, each designed to meet the height and weight requirement of varying constructions and a number of different edge finishes, depending on screed thickness, tile size and thickness and the desired look.
Among the systems on offer from BAL include:
- Thin Drainage Assembly for direct point adhesion for break-proof coverings (complete construction height from 29mm)
- Standard Drainage Screed Assembly for the solid bed fixing of ceramic, porcelain and natural stone and concrete paving (from 68mm build-up)
- Thin, Lighter Weight Drainage Screed with an epoxy drainage screed for a strong but comparatively lightweight build-up compared to conventional systems (from only 43mm height build-up).
For more information and to request a demonstration visit: