Paddington Hammersmith and City line station is being rebuilt to cope with increasing demand. More than 60,000 passengers currently use the Hammersmith & City station every day, with demand growing as a result of the extension of the Circle line to Hammersmith.
When Crossrail services begin in 2018, passenger numbers will increase further.
To help prepare for this demand, Transport for London plan to deliver a number of improvements:
- A new station entrance from the Paddington Basin
- A new station concourse
- A new ticket office, ticketing machines and ticket gates (including wide aisle gates)
- Lifts to the platforms and three stairways where there is currently only one
- Extended platforms to accommodate new, longer air-conditioned trains
- Improved CCTV and Security