The Mastic Asphalt Council (MAC) has launched its first ever RIBA-approved CPD presentation entitled ‘Black to the Future’.
The presentation covers:
- What mastic asphalt is, its history and its relevance in today’s market
- Performance benefits of mastic asphalt in terms of durability, waterproofing and fire safety
- An understanding of how mastic asphalt can be specified to achieve sustainability targets
- An appreciation of the craftsmanship involved in installing mastic asphalt and the benefits this can offer
- Knowledge of design considerations when specifying mastic asphalt versus alternative materials
- An awareness of the applications which are possible with mastic asphalt
The seminar discusses how mastic asphalt may be perceived as an old fashioned building material, but like many long-lasting, tried and tested materials, it is being re-imagined and modified and re-examined as a highly relevant building material for today. It analyses how the incorporation of modern polymers into mastic asphalt systems has helped lead to its resurgence in the construction industry.
Sustainability is a key area of discussion in the CPD presentation and the fact that any project receiving the performance benefits of an advanced mastic asphalt system will receive a 100% CO2 neutral solution. The UK mastic asphalt industry was the first in the world to achieve the CarbonZero standard.
Design considerations are also discussed, such as weight loading, access requirements, speed of installation and detailing requirements. Alternative options and lifecycle costs are analysed, as well as the diversity of mastic asphalt applications for both new build and refurbishment projects for the entire building envelope, including roofing, paving, screeding, flooring, car parking and tanking.
The CPD seminar also refers to the durability of mastic asphalt, presenting examples such as St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Mastic asphalt was first laid in 1906 on the Stone Gallery that circles the Cathedral dome and it provided a remarkable 111 years’ weatherproof protection before it required refurbishment. MAC contractors report that they are regularly replacing asphalt roofs laid 80 to over 100 years ago.
The new RIBA-approved presentation lasts approximately one hour and counts towards accredited points on an attendee’s CPD portfolio. For convenience, CPD presentations can be delivered at your own offices. To arrange a CPD presentation, please email info(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)masticasphaltcouncil.co.uk